Thursday, July 24, 2008

New Grandson

I have been in Virginia for the past week with my daughter and her husband, waiting for her to give birth to her first child. Jack was born this morning at 1:15 am and weighed in at 9 lb 8 oz and measured 21 1/2 inches long. He's adorable, of course, and hardly looks like a newborn at that size.

While his mother was in labor with him all day yesterday, I cleaned their apartment from top to bottom. It wasn't all that dirty, but it gave me something to do, and I want the place to be as clean and non-toxic as possible for Jack's arrival here on Saturday.

This young family is living in a large apartment building for the summer, and I was a little concerned about being here for a couple of weeks. The only real problem I've had is with the elevator. It seems that there is someone who sprays perfume on herself in the elevator as she is leaving for work in the morning. Fortunately, there are three elevators, so sometimes I've had to wait for a different one. It makes me appreciate my free-standing home surrounded by a chemical-free yard. The big city life is not for me. I don't know how people with MCS make it in a city.

No comments: