Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sewing and Crafts

I've been buried in a sewing project this week (piles of red satin for a Valentine wedding). Just as I was wondering if there were more chemically and environmentally friendly sewing products, I received my daily email from The Canary Report ( www.thecanaryreport.org ), which contained a post with links to online sources for organic sewing and craft products.

After this Christmas shopping season, I am more determined than ever to put my money where my mouth is and restrict my shopping (as much as possible) to organic/chemical-free products. So I want to pass on some information to the rest of you who don't want to give up your sewing and craft projects to stay chemical-free.

NearSea Naturals
Surf on over to www.nearseanaturals.com and shop to your heart's content. This is a great retail site with lots to offer. If you're like me, you already have a closet full of sewing and craft notions, but probably not like the things you'll find on this site. And they're reasonably priced too. From batting to thread to fabric, you'll find it here.

Eurolaces
I have to confess to a love for lace that borders on obsession. It started with the tatted lace my mother gave me after my Danish grandmother died and has been encouraged by hours spent at flea markets and estate sales. When I went onto the site at www.eurolaces.com I was almost frothing at the mouth at the sight of beautiful handmade European laces which, according to the company are "...100% certified organic...made from start to finish chemically free, and without toxins in the production." This site doesn't provide online ordering. You have to call or email (they prefer email so they have your order in writing). So I called. Their lace prices range from $.90 to $3.85 per yard--extremely inexpensive for quality lace.

I know I sound like a sales rep for these companies, but I'm really just a sucker for all things textile in nature. I've had to give up a lot of things because of chemical sensitivity, including many craft activities, but I can still sew. And it's good to know that there are products out there that are safe for me to use. Now I just have to come up with a good project.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you found that post helpful! The organic lace was the BEST find ever. It's so important for those of us who are homebound with chemical sensitivity to find safe, quality products so we can continue to express ourselves with arts and crafts or gardening or other creative activities. These sources were a goldmine! Aloha.