Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Making the World Safe for Babies and Children

Okay, so I haven't been very good at keeping up with this blog this summer. It's just that I've been too busy in my Grandma role to keep up with everything else. Not that I'm complaining. I can't think of anything I'd rather do than play Grandma.

Besides spending a good portion of July with baby Jack and his parents, we had our Sara and her two boys, George and Jack, with us this past week. Of course, there have been numerous days with Cole, Max, Sterling and Morgan, and we just found out that Jill and Michael are expecting another baby the day after Christmas. Truly, my cup runneth o'er.

So, needless to say, my mind has been much on children and babies. Today I heard about a great "natural baby" website at www.babypurity.com . If you too have babies-on-the-brain, check it out for products and other information. It's more than just another retail website. There's lots of interesting baby help too. And, if anyone is close to Vancouver, BC, this website has information about a Mother's Conference being held there on October 25th. Sounds interesting.

Some other tidbits have also come across my email this week that may be of interest to anyone wanting to improve the air quality of a home or office (especially important for homes with little people). One way to improve indoor air quality is to introduce toxin-consuming plants into your environment, such as philodendron, spider plants, golden pothos, peace lilies, bamboo palms, mums, and English ivy. According to NASA research, these plants help remove formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, benzene and other toxins from the air. Of course, these plants may be poisonous if ingested, so you'll need to keep them out of reach of little hands. (We keep ours on top of tall bookcases.)

Another tip is to have a no-shoe policy in your home or office. You can't believe what kinds of things get tracked in on the bottoms of your shoes and then get left in the carpet as you walk across it (like pesticides, oil and grease, dust, etc.). Not only do these pollutants affect the air quality, they aren't too good for little hands and knees that crawl across these surfaces. If you have someone who just refuses to go unshod, a pair of shoes used only for indoor wear is a alternative solution. Just make sure he/she doesn't sneak outside in them. Personally, I prefer to go barefoot, but I do have a pair of fleece LLBean slippers I wear around the house on cold Montana winter days.

Any other suggestions?

2 comments:

Becca said...

Hey Mom, I like all of your ideas. Your blog reads more like an article than a blog because you know so much about the topic.

I need to get some plants . . .

celia said...

just to let you know that my mission to Japan started us on the "no shoes" path--

(no pun intended, *hee*)--

my husband and children have been very supportive, but there have been times when people have "stared"--

or backed away . . .

now I can see that that has been a blessing for me and has protected my health and prepared me for it to become more complicated with time--

also, I second the plants--

I have philodendron and pothos--

:)

c.